Day 0: In Transit

26 July 2014

T-minus 1 hour before departure for the airport:
“MOM!  Where are my running sneakers??”
“I don’t know!   Where did you put them?”
An hour before going to the airport, I was not yet fully packed.  I had only ten days in Braintree, MA before I had to leave for Buenos Aires and let’s just say I prioritized saying goodbyes (or, see-you-laters) to family and friends instead of packing.  Packing also makes it too final—I would have had to accept the fact that I am leaving to another country for six months, that I was certainly not ready for. 

5:20PM:
We get into the car with extra things half packed into my luggage and myself only half dressed but hey, we were for sure on our way.  In line to check in, I was anxious yet excited..  I felt like as if I were at the altar and have cold feet, except I am marrying a foreign country for the next six months of my life.  But hey, six months is indeed a long time!  Also while in line, Mom chatted up the girl behind us, it turns out, she was just abroad in a six-week program in Spain!  Chatting with them distracted me from my sensation of fear and desire to vomit due to my nervousness.  Finally, we are at the American Airline counter for check-in. The worker at the counter was extremely nice and turned the other way when she realized both of my suitcases were over 50lbs.  Oops my bad.  Right before I was ready to head towards security, I noticed that she had a pin of both the American and Costa Rican flags on her uniform.
“You’re from Costa Rica??? I WAS JUST THERE!  IN SAN JOSÉ!!  Where are you from??”  
“I’m from Alajuela, near the airport!”  
“No way!  I was at the Cervecería in Alajuela for July 4th celebrations!  I lived in Vargas Araya!”  “Wow!  How was the weather?”  
“Much, much nicer than here!  It was cool and sunny but not too hot!  Gracias!  Pura Vida!”  
“Have a safe flight!  Pura Vida!”

That exchange really made me excited and no longer as nervous about leaving for ever and ever and living in a foreign country entirely on my own. 

7:00PM
Aboard the flight from BOS to JFK
“Ladies and gentlemen, I have bad news:  JFK has put a ground hold on us, not allowing to leave Boston to fly to New York.  We are waiting for an update from them at 7:30pm.”

7:30PM
“This is your captain speaking:  JFK International Airport has officially delayed us to at least 8:30PM.  With my estimate, we will probably leave around 9:00PM and arriving in New York at 10:00PM EDT.  I understand that there are 119 passengers connecting to international flights to Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo and to be quite honest I can't keep everyone on the flight.  So here are your two options: 
1.     Get off the flight and rebook in Boston.  American Airlines will not be providing any accommodations
2.     Stay on the flight and either try to make your connection in New York or rebook and stay overnight in the city.  American Airlines will be providing accommodations”
Mierda.  I might not make it to Buenos Aires tonight. 
At this exact moment, I picked up the phone and called Mom to ask her for advice, with the intention of staying on the flight and hoping I’d make it.  Mom was on the same page, she wanted me to go to JFK to at least make it tomorrow night so this episode wouldn't happen to me again.  Cool, cool.  Back to sleep. 

8:30PM
“We just got the ‘OK’ from JFK, we're going to try to get outta here as fast as we can”
*Passengers cheer and clap in rejoice”
Gracias a Dios.

9:34PM
Arrival at JFK
“For those on American Airlines Flight 953 going to Buenos Aires, proceed to Gate 47 immediately after arrival at the gate.”
Okay I have less than 30 minutes to find this gate and board.  Hopefully this gate isn't too far away.  Wait, I haven't eaten.  Shoot.  Will I have time to eat?  Unclear.  But board first. 
Thankfully, the gate was only a 2-minute walk and I desperately searched for food around the area.  Nope.  Nada.  So off I went into the closest Hudson News and grabbed a plethora of snacks:  2 Chobani's, a bag of pretzels, a bottle of Smartwater.  That'll have to do for dinner for now. 

10:00PM
Hearing people all around speaking Spanish has really made me realized that YES I am going to Argentina for six months.  The Spanish they are currently speaking is slightly incomprehensible.  Meep.  Hopefully, that'll get better next week/before school starts.  Looking around, I am the only person of Asian descent on my flight.   As I am proceeding to my seat, it was clear that the majority of the passengers were staring at me, watching my every move.  I have inkling this will be similar to the situation in Buenos Aires—standing out from the crowd and all. 

10:25PM

We are delayed due to the late arrival of our captain.  I’ve already seen a lot of little idiosyncrasies of these Argentines.  They are all very stylish—it’s what I’d like to call “comfort chic.”  The majority of them also are slightly spatially challenged, putting their suitcases in with the wheels sticking out towards the aisles.  Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve always been told “Wheels first to save room for the others.”  Also, with such a delay, nobody seems to be antsy and/or annoyed due to this inefficiency.  Maybe they're born with it, maybe it’s Maybelline. 

Logan Airport

Comments

Popular Posts